Here you'll find my thoughts on fitness, humanity, nature, nutrition, politics, reason, science and critical thinking.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.” -Albert Einstein

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sometimes less is better...

My mother is the best example of "Sometimes less is better" and what it means. Let me explain.

It immediately made me think of how we are bombarded with news through paper, radio, tv and the internet. I have always been a big proponent of "getting informed".
I often chastised my mother for not being "interested" in what is going on in the world. She would reply that it brought nothing to her as a person and she preferred to concentrate on things she could actually change within her close personal circle.

I never really understood this until that day when I thought long & hard what all that information was bringing to me... I had to be honest and say: nothing "positive" . Just allot of frustration at the idiocy of the world continually succumbing to good old fashion GREED!

It's been 2 months since I significantly reduced reading or watching news of the social / political nature and letting it all get to me. I also stay away from too much negative news and considering that 99.99% of all social / political mainstream news is negative in nature it only makes sense I feel less frustrated.

I still listen to my local radio when I get up in the morning just to get a quick glimpse of what is going on as I prepare for work, also I like that it focuses more on local issues. And of course I have a good laugh watching the Daily Show :) .

So yes, less is definitely better in some situations... consider doing the same, you might just like the results.




And sometimes mother knows best ;-) .

No comments: